As you know, having proper and updated insulation for your home is very important when it comes to regulating the temperature and keeping your energy costs low. But, how does insulation work and how often should it be updated?
Insulation is the material placed within your home that creates a barrier between the inside and outside of the building. This keeps your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Insulation is typically placed within the attic or the inside of the roof and the inner walls. This extra layer between your interior and the outside world is essential.
The average lifespan of insulation is about twenty years, but this varies greatly depending on the type of insulation used and its upkeep. Sometimes, homeowners have no idea that it is time to change out insulation, and this leads to higher energy costs. In fact, many people spend about forty percent of energy costs due to improper insulation. When you make your home more energy efficient, you might even qualify to receive tax credits back! As you can see, making sure your insulation is up to date has many benefits.
When it comes to insulation, you have many types to choose from. Let’s take a look at some of the insulation types we offer:
- Fiberglass insulation- This is made of melted glass that is spun and then blown and turned into fibers
- Blown in-wall insulation- This insulation can be made of different materials— from work to cellulose to fiberglass— and can be blown into hard to reach spaces with a special machine
- Rigid foam board insulation- This insulation is made of dense sheets of foam and is applied to either the interior or exterior of the home
- Mineral wool insulation- This ‘wool’ is made of materials such as rock, silica, and other fibers that are spun to create a material resembling wool
- Radiant heat barrier insulation- This is made of incredible reflective materials and helps to reflect heat away from the home, lowering energy costs
- Cellulose insulation- This insulation is made of plant fiber and is blown into the inside of the roof and walls, reducing energy costs and even sound
When it comes to insulating your home, there are many lotions to choose from. It is important to make sure your home is up to date with insulation to ensure energy efficiency. Do you need to have your insulation inspected? Do you need to update your insulation? Give us a call today!